Friday, November 05, 2004

FAIR Media Advisory - Defining Bush's "Mandate"

http://www.fair.org/press-releases/bush-mandate.html So I usually like FAIR, but in this case I must disagree. Although Bush did win by a slim majority (if you consider 3,500,000 votes slim) this seems like it was one of the most widely watched presidential races in history. Regardless of the large numbers of citizens that voted against him, Bush blew past several historical indicators, offered a clear choice of both ideology and policy and, most importantly, won in an election with record turnout. We Democrats are clearly missing something (o.k. many things which I surely will continue to learn with the help of all the conservative senators here). I still don't like Bush's policies and I'm still not crazy about the views of many of his supporters but this election only served to further impress me with his leadership. With an unnecessary and mishandled war (my opinion), record budget and trade deficits, surging national debt, a rough job market and the inability to complete a major sentence George W. Bush still kicked our ass. I don't care what anybody says, this guy is a real winner. I can understand why so many Americans love him so, even if I think they're all crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home